What is Inspected
- the roof-covering materials;
- the gutters;
- the vents, flashing, skylights, chimney, and other roof penetrations; and
- the general structure of the roof from the readily accessible panels, doors or stairs.
- the exterior wall-covering materials, flashing and trim;
- all exterior doors;
- adjacent walkways and driveways;
- stairs, steps, stoops, stairways and ramps;
- porches, patios, decks, balconies and carports;
- railings, guards and handrails;
- the eaves, soffits and fascia;
- a representative number of windows; and
- vegetation, surface drainage, retaining walls and grading of the property, where they may adversely affect the structure due to moisture intrusion.
Basement, Foundation, Crawlspace & Structure
- the foundation;
- the basement;
- the crawlspace; and
- structural components.
- the heating system, using normal operating controls.
- the cooling system using normal operating controls.
- the main water supply shut-off valve;
- the main fuel supply shut-off valve;
- the water heating equipment, including the energy source, venting connections, temperature/pressure-relief (TPR) valves, Watts 210 valves, and seismic bracing;
- interior water supply, including all fixtures and faucets, by running the water;
- all toilets for proper operation by flushing;
- all sinks, tubs and showers for functional drainage;
- the drain, waste and vent system; and
- drainage sump pumps with accessible floats.
- the service drop;
- the overhead service conductors and attachment point;
- the service head, gooseneck and drip loops;
- the service mast, service conduit and raceway;
- the electric meter and base;
- service-entrance conductors;
- the main service disconnect;
- panelboards and over-current protection devices (circuit breakers and fuses);
- service grounding and bonding;
- a representative number of switches, lighting fixtures and receptacles, including receptacles observed and deemed to be arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI)-protected using the AFCI test button, where possible;
- all ground-fault circuit interrupter receptacles and circuit breakers observed and deemed to be GFCIs using a GFCI tester, where possible; and
- smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors.
- readily accessible and visible portions of the fireplaces and chimneys;
- lintels above the fireplace openings;
- damper doors by opening and closing them, if readily accessible and manually operable; and
- cleanout doors and frames.
Insulation & Ventilation
- insulation in unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and foundation areas;
- ventilation of unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and foundation areas; and
- mechanical exhaust systems in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry area.
Doors, Windows & Interior
- a representative number of doors and windows by opening and closing them;
- floors, walls and ceilings;
- stairs, steps, landings, stairways and ramps;
- railings, guards and handrails; and
- garage vehicle doors and the operation of garage vehicle door openers, using normal operating controls.